Well, what is your question? Are you asking someone to write your script
for you? Then yes, that probably is a dumb question. Are you, on the
other hand, asking how this script would likely have to work? That's not
such a dumb question.

General outline is to add a capturing event listener
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/element.addEventListener) to each
matching URL at load (use XPath -- http://www.w3schools.com/xpath -- and
in particular document.evaluate --
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/document.evaluate to find the <a>
elements in question); in the event handler, grab the URL in question
and use GM_xmlhttpRequest (http://wiki.greasespot.net/GM_xmlhttpRequest)
to get the information from the free website; parse and extract the
returned information and display it in a tooltip -- I doubt you want a
popup window coming up all the time, but a tooltip will work fine.

Hope this helps.