Glad to know. Keep in mind, however, that this implies a security
risk.  A malicious userscript could open a tab or a frame, load a
"file:" url from your local drive into it, read the contents and send
them to any server.  Even binary files could be stolen in this way,
including files stored in your Firefox profile containing sensitive
information (passwords, cookies, history, etc). In order to know the
exact location of the profile folder the attacker could either do a
recursive scan of your hard disk (directory contents can also be
listed via file: urls) until it reached the profile.ini file in which
all profile directories are listed, or it could open the about:cache
page and read the profile from there, provided access to about: urls
is granted via the "greasemonkey.aboutIsGreaseable" preference.  This
security risk was in fact the motivation for the new preferences, as
far as I can remember. This was handled in bug #1000:

 http://github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/closed#issue/1000

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Matt Sargent <matt.sarg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> THANK YOU!! This was exactly what I was looking for. It works perfectly.
>
> On 12/29/2009 7:06 PM, esquifit wrote:
>> Since a couple of releases there are two new 'hidden' preferences:
>>
>> greasemonkey.aboutIsGreaseable
>> greasemonkey.fileIsGreaseable
>>
>> The default value is "false".  If you want Greasemonkey to run on
>> file:/// urls, you have to set the second one to "true" (in
>> about:config).
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Matt Sargent
>> <matt.sarg...@earthlink.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> Until a recent release, Greasemonkey could run on locally stored HTML
>>> pages. This was very handy, especially when combined with the Scrapbook
>>> add-on. Does anyone know of a way to restore this behavior to a script?