Hi travellers!

My name is Garth Lean and I am currently completing research with the
University of Western Sydney in Australia. My study is looking at the
impact of travel upon the traveller when they return home, and I need
the help of active travellers like yourself. I have just finished
developing a website http://www.transformativetravel.com which allows
travellers who feel they have been changed by travel to participate in
a brief 5 minute online survey. My aim is to find whether there are
particular elements within a travel experience that help to inspire
changes/transformations.

Any help you can give in sharing your experiences would be greatly
appreciated. The site also has a mailing list which you can join and
receive notification when the results are available. Hopefully there
will be some good tips for creating a transformative travel experience
when I have finished.

If you would like to find out more about the study, please visit
http://www.transformativetravel.com . I have also attached my one-page
information sheet below. If you know of other travellers who have been
changed by travel, please feel free to distribute this invitation as
widely as you like.

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Happy travelling!

Garth.

P.S. For an easier to read/printable/emailable version of the
invitation please visit http://www.pnc.com.au/~lean/ttweb1/Invitation.htm

AN OPPORTUNITY TO PARTICIPATE IN GROUND-BREAKING TOURISM RESEARCH

What happens to a traveller when they travel?
Do they change as a result of their experiences?
Can tourism be used as a tool for solving environmental & social issues?

This is an invitation to participate in innovative research being
conducted by a student at the University of Western Sydney that seeks
to answer these questions

STAGE 1
The study needs to identify individuals who have changed as a result
of travel. Two types of post-travel change/transformation will be
looked at:

1. The research is focusing on travellers who have been influenced by
a travel experience (i.e. what they saw, what they did, the
interactions they had, the actions they witnessed, the environments
they lived within) to such an extent that they were inspired to change
their values, attitudes and/or behaviours toward our natural and
social environments. This also includes individuals who already held
strong views on these issues, but were motivated by the travel
experience to become more involved in addressing them, and/or the
education and encouragement of others to become involved.

2. As a traveller's life can be impacted in many other ways by their
travel experience, the study is also attempting to identify the
diversity of changes that can occur through travel.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

1.If you have had your environmental and/or social views altered or
strengthened by a travel experience, or feel that you have been
changed in other ways by travel you can participate in a brief 5
minute online survey at http://www.transfomativetravel.com .

2. If you have not had a transformative travel experience but know of
a book or other source (e.g. article, movie, website) depicting an
account of somebody who has, or have just heard about somebody who
has, you can suggest them at http://www.transfomativetravel.com .

3. If you have family, friends, colleagues, databases or mailing lists
of individuals who may have undergone such changes, please feel free
to distribute this invitation as widely as you like. Information
provided within the surveys is strictly confidential.

To find out more about this important research please visit
http://www.transformativetravel.com