I wonder how many of you have ever experienced the joys of
travelling barefoot? I'm not talking about a weekend trip, I'm
talking about travelling for many weeks or even month without even
carrying any shoes, staying bare everywhere…

Having left Europe for good I'm living in South India. I'm always
barefoot: All-year-round, wherever I go, whatever I do. Most of my
friends have never seen me wearing shoes… For me, being barefoot
isn't just a fashion statement: It's a lifestyle, a way to express
myself… And of course an amazing sensual experience: Walking
barefoot I'm far more "in touch", in touch with nature, with Mother
Earth… Energy can flow freely, I'm never disconnected. Walking
barefoot is special!

Living barefoot 24/7/365 I'm spending lot's of time travelling, and
I'm ALWAYS travelling barefoot. I've virtually explored every nook
and corner of India on my bare soles! It's an exciting experience to
roam around without any footwear in my backpack, trusting in my
leather-like soles toughened over many years. And it's definitely
the most environment-friendly way of travelling, especially if it
comes to activities like hiking in ecologically sensitive regions
(e.g. the Indian Himalayas)! For those of you being concerned about
health issues: I'm living barefoot for more than six years now, and
I didn't face ANY problem – except having to remove a little thorn
from time to time, but even that happens rarely!

The mere thought that somebody out there enjoys travelling
throughout India without ever wearing any kind of footwear (except
one or two anklets and a toe ring!) might seem strange for some of
you… But giving  it a second thought you might even get inspired!
Inspiring you to give it a try, to experience the joys and the
freedom of travelling barefoot – that's my goal, that's why I'm
posting this thread! Is travelling barefoot difficult? And is it
worth it? To answer these questions, let me share my latest barefoot
experiences with you:

Recently I went for some extensive hiking in the Indian Himalayas. I
know: Many of you wouldn't even think about walking barefoot up
there! But believe me: It was SO much fun! I didn't carry any shoes,
not even in my backpack. I enjoyed every minute of the trip on my
bare soles… The trek to the source of the Ganges river was a special
experience: 36 km (18 km one way) of mountain trails, two nights in
an open tent… Climbing over countless rocks, wading through ice-cold
rivulets… Crossing little patches of snow… Many interesting
sensations for my well-trained bare feet! Yes, it's all about
additional sensual experiences – that's what makes living,
travelling and hiking barefoot so special! Feeling the rough granite
beneath my soles, crossing a muddy meadow, patches of snow and
little streams providing some refreshment… Tired feet are unknown to
me, even after many kilometres of brisk hiking! That's one big
advantage of hiking barefoot… And there is the way I experience
temperature: Nights are quite chilly up there (the thermometer once
dropped to -2 ° C), but during daytime, things change quickly as
soon as the first rays of the sun are touching the ground! It's
amazing to be able to FEEL the difference between a shady and sunny
section of the trail! What else? There are the "encounters" – with
other tourists, with locals, with pilgrims from all-over India… Some
funny comments… On the way up to the source of the Ganges, 1 km
before reaching the mighty glacier from where the stream origins, I
asked a tourist if I was still on the right way. He replied that
I'll reach my destination soon – adding: "If your bare feet are
strong enough"! I was spending the night in an open tent together
with other hikers. The morning was quite chilly, and while having a
cup of chai, a girl from Tel Aviv admired my ability to "stay bare"
in the cold! She told me she would love to do the hike barefoot too,
and I assured her that after a few weeks of travelling barefoot,
she'll be able to do things like that without ever having to bother
about her feet. On my way back I passed a couple in their early
30ies. The husband looked a bit surprised, spotting my tanned bare
feet, but his wife gave me a big smile, saying: "Barefoot – that's
great". Reaching the little town of Gangotri, the sky became more
and more cloudy (after three days of almost uninterrupted sunshine),
and the next morning it was rainy with temperatures below 10 ° C.
Mine where the only pair of bare feet in the whole town (apart from
some sadhus!), and I got many comments, both from tourists and
Indians: "Where are your shoes?", "That must be cold", "You'll catch
a cold" and things like that… More than one shopkeeper desperately
tried to sell me a pair of sandals, even following me a few metres
out in the rain… I didn't care, and after 20 to 30 minutes of more
or less brisk walking, my well-trained feet managed to adjust to the
cold, a healthy reddish complexion and warm feeling assuring me that
everything was all right!
Only three month later, my leathery soles got exposed to the hot
streets of South India! It's true: Black tarmac can get quite hot on
a sunny day. But being an experienced long-time barefooter, I'm even
able to stroll around at noon or in the early afternoon without
feeling uncomfortable. And obviously, I'm not the only one: Visit
Kerala or Tamil Nadu and you'll see loads of barefoot people in the
streets, especially in rural areas but also in the cities! I've met
people (online, not on the road) trying to convince me that my
barefoot lifestyle is actually "offensive" IN THE INDIAN CONTEXT. My
habit of walking barefoot is "a sign of disrespect" considering that
I'm obviously able to "afford shoes" – that's how they argue… Well,
I can ensure everybody: THAT'S CRAP! Fortunately, freeing their feet
from imprisonment isn't a privilege of the poor! At least in South
India… Many people down here CAN afford footwear – buying a pair of
flip-flops isn't a big deal anyway, except you're virtually
penniless – but opt for a barefoot life `cause they feel more
comfortable, consider the therapeutically aspects (high bp, reflex
zones…) or simply don't see a point in using a few straps of leather
or plastic to confine their feet. Let me remind you what M.F.
Hussain, India's celebrated modern painter (a multimillionaire –
crorepati!) says about his OWN habit of going barefoot
EVERYWHERE: "It started for purely health reasons. As acupressure is
great for the feet I opted out of footwear. And as a result even
today I can sit for long hours on the floor .It is almost 40 years
now that I am barefoot. Earlier people laughed. Now they have
accepted me as I am. I even go to Parliament without shoes. In fact
in our country removing your footwear is a mark of respect. Be it at
home or a place of worship we go in barefoot."
By the way: In India itself I'm hardly encountering ANY negative
reaction! People are only curious if they see a foreigner strolling
around barefoot. Some ARE concerned, but only because they think I'm
not experienced enough! It's not that difficult to convince them…
Makes me remembering an incident in Fort Cochin (Kerala) – an
incident you might very well call typical: It was a hot and sunny
afternoon and I was exploring downtown Fort Cochin. Seeing my bare
feet, an auto rickshaw driver stopped me, asking "isn't it too hot
for you to walk barefoot?". I said: "No, I'm used to it. I'm always
barefoot." "Your soles must be strong!" (hesitating a moment) "I
don't believe! Show me!" I did and he carefully examined both my
forefoot and heel. Feeling the leathery skin of my calloused soles,
he smiled, saying: "I think they ARE strong enough!"  This wasn't
the first time! Having travelled thousands and thousands of
kilometres on India's dusty roads, many locals asked me to show them
my soles, curiously examining the layers of "living leather" and
calluses protecting me from almost everything one can encounter! And
more than once I've been asked for an instant demonstration,
mentioning that my soles are so tough that I can even put out a
cigarette on them…
Living, hiking and travelling barefoot is an all-round experience
and at the same time very communicative! Try it yourself! Free your
feet and keep `em bare!

Everyone interested in travelling barefoot shouldn't miss the
following web pages:

http://members.tripod.com/~bftravel/

Enjoy!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ke.olB/TM

<*> To buy Marcus L. Endicott's new book: Vagabond Globetrotting 3: The
    Electronic Traveler in the New Millennium, go to:
    http://www.lulu.com/mendicott

    green-travel@yahoogroups.com
    {* Remember, it is important to include a descriptive subject line.}
    {* Please do not quote entire Digests or long messages in replies!}

Yahoo! Groups Links