Nikki,

Firstly, if this teacher Mark Dickinson succeeds in achieving donations then he
will be spending money in his travels just like anyone else..  Secondly,
enrichment and gifts come in many forms; his blogging about hospitality
exchange could be just the awareness raising that some may need..  Who knows,
his adventures could go viral and end up in the New York Times?  These are the
kinds of gifts that money cannot buy..  I have no doubt that the new emphasis
on cooperative travel, such as WWOOFing and CouchSurfing, may threaten
established service providers; but, that doesn't make them any less green, in
fact perhaps more so..

Best wishes from tropical Queensland,

 - Marcus Endicott
   www.mendicott.com