I am at a loss for how to respond to this posting by fishnet, particularly
with all of the incorrect facts.  I am on the Steering Committee of the
"GSTC" on behalf of Sustainable Travel International (STI), an NGO among a
half a dozen or so others directly involved with the Partnership, though you
stated that there is only one.  And we have been a founding member of the
Sustainable Tourism Certification Network of the Americas in developing
standards that have been a part of this process for years.  As such, we have
worked diligently and closely with the industry, governmental and
non-governmental organizations throughout the Americas in supporting this
development.  This includes receiving feedback, suggestions, recommendations
and consensus over many years, including small to large travel providers,
certification organizations, and indigenous rights to major environmental
organizations.

While you may be one who "does feel a lack of community participation" that
feeling shouldn't be projected across the board.  In fact, to develop the
GTSC, the partnership consulted with sustainability experts and the tourism
industry and reviewed more than 60 existing certification and voluntary sets
of criteria already being implemented around the globe. In all, more than
4,500 criteria have been analyzed and the resulting draft criteria have
received comments from over 1000 stakeholders, with many, many thousands
more that were contacted.  Our own newsletter alone went out to 25 thousand
like-minded recipients with our invitation, not to mention our day to day
working relationships with industry and NGOs, and we work with a lot of them
on sustainable solutions.

Your comments about specific criteria and what they (may or may not) fail to
do is also largely misinformed.  In fact, if anything the criteria go out of
their way to provide incentives and trigger mechanisms to actively support
local rights, culture, economic development and environmental protection
beyond business as usual. And where they haven't, we and other NGOs have
worked very hard to ensure they were (re)included.  That said, indicators
and qualifying parameters are still being developed, and as with the
criteria development itself, it is a public process with stakeholder
feedback highly encouraged.  So if you weren't involved in the last phase,
please do so rather than supporting the unproductive approach of bashing
something that you really don't have any insight into.  We agree that more
community based efforts are needed and many of our programs are geared in
that direction, but we should all realize that we're working to achieve the
same goal, and while nothing is perfect, a move in the right direction is
far better than uninformed criticism.

Peter D. Krahenbuhl

Vice President, Co-founder

Sustainable Travel International

Leave the World a Better PlaceR

Colorado, Oregon, London
Phone: 800 276 7764 / 720-273-2975 / +44 (0)779 931 1228 (UK direct)
Web: www.sustainabletravel.com / www.sustainabletravelinternational.org
<http://www.sustainabletravelinternational.org/>

Email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /
Skype: peterkrahenbuhl

Fax: 866-624-8303