with usual apologies of cross posting

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ashik salahudeen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2008/9/4
Subject: [smc-discuss] Khadi Board visits the GNU/Linux installfest at
Technopark today ..
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi all,

We at the
installfest<http://www.ilug-tvm.org/content/schedule-program-gnulinux-install-fest-technopark-trivandrum>were
lucky enough to have that heady feeling that accompanies a picture of
FOSS working its magic and people benefitting from it. Today we had a visit
from Khadi board.

Khadi board has been using Fedora and Ubuntu to run their office for quiet
sometime now. They had to obey a ruling from the government which mandated
the use of FOSS. Instead of waiting around and shoving miles of red tape
over it , they went into action and started using FOSS. Of course they ran
into problems. They went to CDAC for help. Unfortunately , its another
government body and they proved it. CDAC started bull shitting , promising
stuff and delivering nothing , demanding ever increasing amounts of money
for it and being secretive about it. Frustrated , the people from Khadi
board turned to the FOSS community and voila !! things started to go right.
Their major problem was Malayalam rendering and input which was solved by
the leading Malayalam language computing group , Swathanthra Malayalam
Computing ( http://fci.wikia.com/SMC ) . Its members provided support to
Khadi board, over web. And Khadi board kept coming back to the community
which never let them down.

Today they were here to offer support for FOSS communities , in their own
words " We saved over fifteen lakh rupees on OS licensing costs alone.
Donating money as sponsorship to the FOSS communities and the events that
they organize is nothing com[ared to the help and support they provided us"

And you know what ? We are proud of them . We are proud of ( and to be the
)  members of FOSS community that helped this organization which is a beacon
of hope to the dying traditional weavers community.

Khadi board is going to be the first public sector organization in Kerala to
go completely paperless. And they did this because the FOSS community was
right behind them supporting them. Not the government , not the so called
software and research organizations sposored and funded by government, but
the community who owns and maintains FOSS.

A video that we managed to capture (pardon the poor video quality and awful
reporting ) : http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=BuyfLUzFz9E

--
സ്വതന്ത്ര മലയാളം കമ്പ്യൂട്ടിങ്ങ് - എന്റെ കമ്പ്യൂട്ടറിന് എന്റെ ഭാഷ
വെബ് താള്:http://smc.org.in/