It is with a heavy heart that I am writing this note and in response to a
number of mails that I have got asking me to endorse the ongoing protests by
lawyers in Tamil Nadu. What saddens me is that lawyer friends with strong
moorings in Human Rights and have often gone out of their way in defending
the people socially and politically shunned are also circulating these
mails.

Police brutality anywhere in the world has to be condemned - and there is
not even an iota of doubt that most of this brutality goes on with impunity.
And there may be no doubt that the Tamil nadu police acted with utmost
impunity

Having said that, I do not think people in glass houses should throw stones
at others

I also think, those circulating these mails should introspect a little

The last few days has seen the police and lawyers being at logger heads and
number of remand prisoners across tamil nadu facing the consequences. I do
not have to remind my enlightened lawyer friends the socio-economic strata
of society from where these under-trials come from. And given the claim of
absolute brutality of the police, I wonder who would protect these poor
souls from the police. Who are we kidding?

The legal profession in India is perhaps the most non-transparent in terms
of its functioning  I  would challenge any person to show me a simple court
process in the trial court that can happen without a single instance of
corruption. The profession has been riddled with castiesm and gender
prejudice. Professional upward mobility in caste and gender terms is
demonstrably most difficult in the legal profession - one just needs to do
an audit of appointments to higher judiciary.

But no, as the guardians of the Law, we will remain above the Cosntitution
and the Law. We will roughshod and criticise every other isntitution while
we remain feudal and head strong in our performance

Jai Hind

--
Bobby Kunhu http://community.eldis.org/myshkin/Blog/