*I am posting the english translation of the piece that Damodar mentioned,
as somedays back there was an attempt in Green Youth to defend the Lawyers
agitation and it appeared like the person who posted it does not read
malayalam
*

I am writing this in response to a requestto a mail from friends practicing
at the Chennai Bar for an in house journal on the current spat between the
legal fraternity and the police. But rather than comment on this particular
incident, I thought I might as well comment on a malaise that has infected
the Indian legal system across the board for some time. Rather than prove
the obvious high handedness of the police, this incident throws up
disturbing questions as to whether the Indian legal fratenrity has
understood the Constitution at all and their role as envisaged by the
Cosnstitution.

Individual lawyers definitely have a right to hold any opinion, but when the
opinion seeks itself to be represented as the opinion of the entire legal
fraternity and takes up actionable form, it needs to be expressed within the
confines of the demands of practice and ethics. Let me try to elucidate; in
1995, the Mumbai Bar raised a storm over the allegedly unjustifiably huge
payment made to Justice A M Bhattacharjee by a publisher, resulting in the
resignation of the said judge and judicial self-introspection regarding
accountability. The debate rages on with some individual lawyers taking
strng positions on the accountability of judges. The quality and integrity
of a judge is a question that has a direct bearing upon the legal profession
and the practice of the same. On issues such as this, or touching upon legal
practice, such as co-operation of law enforcement agencies, the Bar needs to
and should take up positions as a professional fraternity.

But what is worrying is when legal professionals as a body try to use their
professional privilege in framing opinions that fall outside their
jurisdiction, very often clashing with demands of professional ethics. The
most recent example being the resolution of the same Mumbai Bar deciding not
to offer their legal help to the accused in the Mumbai attacks, Ajmal Kasab.
The resolution goes against the very tenets on which the Indian legal system
has been built - not only in the sense of denial of Kasab's right to be
defended guaranteed under the Constitution, but also in the sense of
extra-constitutionally appropriating a judicial function of judging Kasab.

Having made these points of contrast and without justifying the police
brutality that has led to the current impasse, I would read the origins of
the crisis to the Bar as a professional body exceeding its role.  Ageeing
with the findings of the  Srikrishna Commission, let me quote; There is no
doubt that violence was started by the unruly mob of lawyers, some of whom
were even dressed in robes and bands, but once the Polics got into action,
t6here was no stopping them" and he also says; "My view, albeit prima facie,
is that the soft pedalling policy followed by the Madras High Court judges
has led to the present piquant sitiations. The lawyers appear to have been
encouraged by the wrong signals sent out and seemed to think that they could
anything and get away within the court premises. Regretfully, far from being
the upholders o the Rule of Law, the lawyers seem to have behaved as
hooligans and miscreants"

In a farcical twist that would be humorous if not for the tragic
consequences of this spat, on the 3rd of March, leaders of the Madras Bar
had unequivocally declared that they would accept the report of the
Srikrishna Commission. But when Justice Srikrishna came out with a report
indicting the lawyers, he suddenly became personal non-grata. His effigy was
burnt on the streets of Chennai and the State Level Joint Action Committee
of the Advocates rejected that report and resolved to continue their
agitation. Is the Legal fratenrnity claiming immunity under the archaic
legal maxim that "The King Can do No Wrong", usurping the sovereignty vested
under the Constitution to  "We the people" - claiming to be the sole
repository of "truth" and "justice" and abrogating their role as custodians
of the same sovereignty. As a lawyer, I can only throw my arms in
exasperation and ask whither justice, whose truth??? What is worrying is
that the legal community does not seem to understand the mayhem that will be
caused, if all losing litigants in law suits launch agitations against the
judiciary.

Of course the Bar has the right to its opinion in condemning the violence in
Sri Lanka. But it has no right to insist that individual members should not
have dissenting opinions or that members of the public whatever may be their
position accept their opinion. That tantamounts to fascism. The Bar also has
no right to insist what individual litigants might or might not want to
participate in, regardless of its opinion. There are been democratic
institutions instituted underr the governance scheme of the Constitution of
India where such opinions could and should be voiced and advocated. Unless,
of course in the glorious traditions of the freedom struggle the Bar as a
body wants to express its loss of faith in the Cosntitutional system  The
boycott by the TN bar is akin to the absurdity of an Indian Medical or
Dental Association passing a resolution that they would not treat patients
unless the Indo-US Nuclear deal is not rescinded

While I have scant respect for Subramanya Swamy as a politician or his
opinions, there is no denying him his right to opinion or litigate. The best
way to register protest against Swamy's views would and should be through
constitutional mechanisms. In this regard, the Bar may have a lesson or two
to learn from Tamil electorate!!!!

--
Bobby Kunhu http://community.eldis.org/myshkin/Blog/