http://kafila.org/2010/05/04/4128/ The ban on SIMI and Indian democracy

Dr Shahid Badar, national president of Students Islamic Movement of India,
recently decided not to contest any more the ban on SIMI, his stated reason
being:

“to put an end to this mindless, futile, unequal, unethical and unjust
exercise in which the Government has shamelessly used the Judiciary to
achieve its ends of casting a shadow of criminality on the entire muslim
community.  I have therefore chosen not to contest the declaration of the
central govt.”

This is the full text of the affidavit filed by him before the *Unlawful
Activities (Prevention) Tribunal.*

**

*BEFORE THE HON’BLE MR. JUSTICE SANJIV KHANNA,*

*Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal,*

*Delhi High Court Building, Sher Shah Road, New Delhi
*

*In Re: Students Islamic Movement of India*

I, Shahid Badar, son of Shri Badre Alam, aged about 38 years, resident of
Village Manchobha, P.O. Kakrahta, P.S. Sadar, District Azamgarh, Uttar
Pradesh, presently at New Delhi, do hereby solemnly affirm and state on oath
as under:

   1. I was the President of the Students Islamic Movement of India
   (hereafter, SIMI) on 27/09/01 when for the first time the Central Govt
   declared the organisation an ‘unlawful association’. The declaration by the
   Central Govt. under Sn. 3 (1) was accompanied with a direction under the
   proviso to sn. 3 (3) that the declaration was to have immediate effect, i.e.
   even before it was adjudicated and confirmed or cancelled by the Tribunal
   under sn. 4 (3). Being a law-abiding organisation, from the date of the
   declaration, i.e. 27/09/01, the organisation ceased to exist.
   2. On the date of the declaration itself, the govt. of the day ensured
   that all the offices of the organisation were sealed and its bank accounts
   frozen.
   3. On the intervening night of the 27th and the 28th of September 2001,
   before I was informed that SIMI had been declared an unlawful association, I
   was arrested and charged with being a member of an unlawful association, a
   cognizable offence under sn. 10 of the UAPA, 1967. My lawyers advise me that
   this is in violation of a basic principle of ‘Rule of Law’ every law student
   is taught as part of their course on jurisprudence – criminal sanction
   cannot be retrospectively applied.
   4. While I was still in custody, I was served with a notice by the
   tribunal constituted to adjudicate the validity of the declaration of SIMI
   as an unlawful association. As the last president of SIMI before it was
   declared an unlawful association, I engaged counsel to contest the
   proceedings on my behalf. When the tribunal upheld the validity of the
   declaration, I petitioned the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, which was
   pleased to grant leave to appeal and admit the appeal as Civil Appeal No.
   9208 of 2003.
   5. The declaration of 27 September 2001, of SIMI as an unlawful
   association, was to expire on 26 September 2003. However, on 26 September
   2003, the govt. issued another notification, once again declaring SIMI an
   unlawful association. I was still in custody, but once again, contested the
   declaration and then appealed the decision of the tribunal upholding the
   declaration, before the Hon’ble Delhi High Court. Vide order dated 04
   January 2008, the Hon’ble Supreme Court was pleased to transfer the petition
   to itself and have it tagged alongwith pending Civil Appeal No. 9208 of
   2003.
   6. On 8th February 2006 the Central Government once again declared SIMI
   an unlawful association. When the Tribunal constituted to adjudicate the
   validity of the notification was pleased to uphold the notification, I once
   again filed a Special Leave petition. The Hon’ble Supreme Court was pleased
   to grant leave and the petition is currently still pending before the
   Hon’ble Supreme Court as C.A. No. 1323/2007.
   7. SIMI has therefore been more or less continually banned since
   September 2001, making a complete mockery of the intention behind the UAPA
   and the safeguards supposedly built into the statute to prevent abuse.
   8. As yet, the Hon’ble Supreme Court has heard none of the three appeals
   filed by me.
   9. On the occasion of the last declaration by the govt. of 07th of
   February 2008, I once again appeared through counsel and this time the
   tribunal constituted in terms of the UAPA and presided over by Hon’ble Ms.
   Justice Gita Mittal, returned a resounding verdict clearly holding that the
   central govt. had no grounds to declare SIMI an unlawful association. The
   tribunal therefore cancelled the declaration of the central govt.

10.  However, although the tribunal’s report answering the reference was
sent to the Central Govt., neither my counsel nor I, were intimated about
the fact of the report or the cancellation of the central govt’s declaration
of 07th of February 2008. I gathered the news only the next day from media
reports.

11.  Shockingly however, I also heard, once again from media reports, that
the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India had stayed the judgement of the Tribunal
in a mentioning motion made before it at 2 p.m. the next day, i.e. the
06thof August 2008. Interestingly,

   1. The govt. had not even intimated me, or the lawyers who were
   representing me, that the tribunal had cancelled the declaration.
   2. The govt. had not informed my counsel or me that they intended to
   mention the matter before the Hon’ble Supreme Court.
   3. The Hon’ble Supreme Court did not deem fit to ensure that any attempt
   was made to intimate my lawyers or me of the mentioning
   4. Nevertheless, by order dated 06th August 2008, the Hon’ble Supreme
   Court had stayed the cancellation of the declaration of the central govt. of
   SIMI as an unlawful association.

12.  That after the present tribunal was constituted as well, I was served
with notice to appear in the present proceedings. I therefore asked counsel
to appear before this Hon’ble Tribunal and seek information regarding the
basis on which the organisation has once again been declared unlawful.

13.  However, a perusal of the notification and the background note reveals
that it is once again a tissue of the same old lies, with minimal cosmetic
changes.

14.  From my experience of contesting the declarations of SIMI as an
unlawful association, I am left with no other option but to conclude that
the intention of the Government seems to be to crush any voices of dissent
from marginalized communities. It appears that the central govt. is using
the provisions of the UAPA and the good offices of the judiciary to send out
a message that some Fundamental Rights are not available to Muslims and that
to be Muslim is to be suspect. This is state terrorism.

15.  Importantly, in not a single case since the imposition of the first ban
on the 27th of September 2001, has any conviction against any member of the
association in respect of an ‘unlawful activity’ attained finality before
any court of law. Every case registered against members of the association
has ended, either in acquittal or discharge of the accused.

16.  Insidiously, numerous muslim organisations, many of whom have never had
any relationship with SIMI, are sought to be tainted by false, baseless and
completely unfounded allegations that they are front organisations or
otherwise connected with SIMI. The list increases with every subsequent
tribunal constituted.

17.  Personally, on every occasion that the matter was contested before the
tribunal the central govt. made completely false, unsupported and sweeping
allegations against me of fund raising and continuing the activities of the
unlawful association.

18.  I have never committed any offence whatsoever, either during the period
when the declarations have been effective, or before the organisation was
declared an unlawful association.

19.  I completed my ‘Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery’ (BUMS)
programme from Aligarh Muslim University in the year 1998 and run a small
clinic in Village Manchobha, where I live, and where I offer my services to
people irrespective of their race, caste, class or religion. This is my
practice of Islam.

20.  My medical practice, and through it, service to the community is very
important to me. For several of my clients, I am the only source of medical
care. I am therefore not in a position to leave Village Manchobha for
extended periods of time.

21.  In view of the above facts, I want to put an end to this mindless,
futile, unequal, unethical and unjust exercise in which the Government has
shamelessly used the Judiciary to achieve its ends of casting a shadow of
criminality on the entire muslim community. I have therefore chosen not to
contest the declaration of the central govt.

22.  The contents of the above affidavit have been read over and explained
to me in Urdu.

Deponent
Verification

Verified at New Delhi on this the 01st day of May 2010 that the contents of
paragraphs 1 to 21 of the above affidavit are true and correct to the best
of my knowledge, information and belief. No part of it is false and nothing
material has been concealed therefrom.

Deponent