I took a good look at Father Peron's sty file, and cyphered to do this:

\renewcommand{\*}{ \color{red}{*}\color{black}}
\let\grestar\*
\let\greheightstar\*

I put this in my tex template - not any sty file, and it works! You can see below that all the *'s are in red and I never put anything at all in my gabc code - which means I can reuse the template for all the gabc files. (I am using my Greg program, which lets you reuse a special tex template for all/any scores)

Thanks for your help, Father, Brother.