Assuming you have all the dependencies, you should be able to follow the
instructions almost completely in this case, using sudo when installing:

$ autoreconf -f -i
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ sudo make install
$ cd fonts
$ touch *.ttf
$ sudo make install

Notice I added touch *.ttf.  The current ttf files are checked into the
repository, so there's typically no need to build them again.  If you
check out from git, sometimes the timestamps on the sfd files are later
than the corresponding ttf files, which causes the final make install to
rebuild the ttf files unnecessarily.  On the other hand, if you feel
like building them anyway, you can leave out the touch command.

The one gotcha is that the older version of Gregorio installed
GregorioTeX files in different places, and there's no easy way to clean
them up.  You pretty much have to hunt them down and delete them
yourself.  However, if you are coming from (I think) 2.3 or newer, this
shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,
Henry