Since I'm planning on adding/updating the contribution guidelines in the README
soon, this discussion is actually quite pertinent to me.  Further this kind of
thing should be available on the users list so that users potentially
interested in becoming developers can find it.

My thoughts are that we encourage potential contributors to sign up for a
GitHub account and use pull requests whenever possible for submitting changes.
Even when I'm confident in my code, I always prefer to get feedback on it
before merging it in, just in case I've overlooked something.  The backwards
compatibility for `\includescore` for instance is a good example where the
discussion revealed a point of confusion in my original code and led to changes
to make it clearer.  Even if no one comments on the request, the day or two of
breathing space between submitting the pull request and merging it in prevents
me from making changes rashly.

Also, I may be mistaken, but in order to push to the main repository a person
has to added to the project as a contributor after setting up their GitHub
account. This would hold up their ability to contribute until Élie (or someone
else with the necessary privileges) was able add them.  Thus I would suggest
that first time contributors fork the repository, allowing them to upload
commits and submit pull requests right away.  We can always add them to the
main repository as a contributor later.

Finally, while I think creating an issue is a good idea when one isn't sure
whether or how to implement something or simply doesn't have the time to do so
right that minute, if one has a solution ready to go, then skipping straight to
the pull request is okay.  GitHub is very good about making discussions about
pull requests seamless.

Br. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ