The real problem is the lack of a true installation manifest (which a
general problem when installing directly from source) so that you know
exactly what to uninstall when upgrading or uninstalling.  That's what
package managers usually do.

The problem with removing all instances is a question of what exactly we
need to search for using kpsewhich.  gregoriotex.tex?  Every file that
might exist under who knows how old a version of Gregorio?

I also have doubts about the need to run luaotfload-tool every time to
clear the cache.  LuaTeX appears to (at least sometimes) be able to pick
up when fonts change, and clearing the cache means that LuaTeX will take
a VERY LONG TIME to run the next time around as it rebuilds the cache.
In other words, this is something to try when things don't work, but
don't do it automatically.

Rather than making this some sort of automatic step under
install-gtex.sh, I propose that we create a "Gregorio cleaner" script
that hunts down old versions and eradicates them using whatever
heuristics we can come up with for finding files, perhaps with some kind
of preview capability.  We would also clearly indicate the purpose of
this script in the documentation.  We could also then suggest the use of
this script when problems come up.

This way the possibly destructive capabilities of this script (which at
least some people will need to run *as root*) will be limited to this
script.

After we have this sort of thing in place, we should have a
troubleshooting guide.  It might help someone.

Further, it might not be so bad an idea to create a mini package manager
for Gregorio that maintains a manifest that we can use to clean up an
old installation.  But that takes time away from improving Gregorio
itself.  Any volunteers?

In conclusion, I don't have any clear idea of how to do this cleanly.
This problem has existed since people have installed things directly
from source.  I welcome the discussion.

Sorry for the rambling,
Henry