Update, i was able to get the right modules to load into a core.img by
making the encrypted partition start at 1mb instead of 32.5kb, the modules
loaded into core.img were:

configfile sha1 fs_uuid biosdisk pc linux ext2 help minicmd crypto aes luks
sha256 devmapper

At boot, i issue the ls command which causes it to find the luks partition
and ask for the password, after that point i am able to have it read a
grub.cfg file from (lk0)/boot/grub/grub.cfg, which then loads the kernel.

So it appears to be working perfectly!

Thanks,
Steve
Xerces Partners