http://www.globus.org/toolkit/docs/4.2/4.2.1/info/admin/#mdsAdmin

It looks like it's controlled by the refresh interval in the upstream configuration. The default is to request a lifetime 2x the refresh interval. If that times out, then it will be removed within 5 minutes of the expiration.

So as long as you can satisfy the equation: SOON >= (2 * RefreshIntervalSecs / 60 ) + 5, then you should be able to get what you want.

Charles