Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response.

It think my point is that the current documentation doesn't give any indication
on topology or grid planning at all, just that you can install Globus, these
are the components.

In my case I'm just setting up Globus as middleware interface to our Rocks
cluster, which uses the Sun Grid Engine as a Resource Manager. The cluster has
a head node and 12 compute nodes, for a total of 104 processors and 384GB of
RAM. The compute nodes exist on a private internal (physical) network. I also
have a virtual machine host that I can use to create servers, which means I
prefer not to run services on the cluster's head node wherever possible to
reduce overheads. Both the head node and VM host have access to the clusters
private internal network, the external network, the internet in general (via
our firewall), and access to a SAN via fibre channel.

So far I've determined that GRAM5 should be installed on the head node and
basically act as an interface to the SGE, but I'm still uncertain if I can set
it up remotely. I think I need GridFTP and I think I can set that up on a VM
and use it to bridge the external and internal networks. I think I want LRS,
especially considering we plan on using iRODS, but I can't tell LRC and LRI are
part of the same component or separate entities, nor can I tell if they can be
separated out onto their own VM. I know I don't need MyProxy or GIS because we
have a federated MyProxy already set up for us by our partners who want us to
use Globus.

So as you can see, my setup isn't a matter of simply installing Globus on all
the nodes.

Regards,

Aaron Hicks