Hi Christopher,

I can only offer guesses and some pointers...

One scenario is a Java WS-GRAM client using the GT4 Delegation Service.
In this case, I believe the serial numbers for proxy certificates are
set randomly in
org.globus.gsi.bc.BouncyCastleCertProcessingFactory.createProxyCertificate()
to be equal to the number added in the new /CN=#### element in the proxy
certificate (see the serialNum and delegDN variables in the code). It's
possible the Java random number generator isn't being properly seeded
and is giving the same number multiple times, which could be a bug...

Here's a link to the code:

http://viewcvs.globus.org/viewcvs.cgi/jglobus/src/org/globus/gsi/bc/BouncyCastleCertProcessingFactory.java?root=Java+COG&view=markup

If you're using a C client, I believe the serial numbers are set to the
hash of the public key in globus_l_gsi_proxy_sign_key() in
gsi/proxy/proxy_core/source/library/globus_gsi_proxy.c. In this case, be
aware that the GT4 Delegation Service re-uses keys
(http://www.globus.org/toolkit/docs/4.0/security/delegation/admin-index.html#id2529246),
and this could explain why you're seeing the same serial number over and
over again.

Considering that RFC 3820 says:

   The serial number of a Proxy Certificate (PC) SHOULD be unique
   amongst all Proxy Certificates issued by a particular Proxy Issuer.
   However, a Proxy Issuer MAY use an approach to assigning serial
   numbers that merely ensures a high probability of uniqueness.

It seems the approach of generating serial numbers by hashing the public
key, when combined with the re-use of keys in the GT4 Delegation
Service, results in non-compliance with that SHOULD (i.e., it sounds
like a bug).

If you're able to confirm any of my guesses, please do post your results
to the list.

-Jim