Hi Larry, Martin and Jon,

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 19:11 +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Friday 06 March 2009 16:31:05 Feng Yu wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > What is the usual way of using opengl to display 3d models within a
> > GTK application?
> >
> > I tried to search for GtkGlArea and GtkGlExt on the net. They all seem
> > to be old. Are they the correct tools?
>
> Yes. GlExt is newer and more complicated. Both are still in use, GlArea still
> being popular among Perl and OCaml developers (IIRC). I'm not sure that
> either support modern OpenGL fully (e.g. multisample).

Thank you for the information.

Does FreeGlut work with GTK?

I tried to get a simple program working with each of FreeGlut and
GlExt.

The GlExt one didn't -- I got lost, might be because of the Vala
binding.

The FreeGlut one did work smoothly without GTK.

FreeGlut has a function for doing one single iteration. Is it OK to
attach it to the main loop as an GIdleSource? Has anybody done this
before?

Regards,

Yu