While reading this document:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-building.html

I saw that it lists Cairo as a dependency for building Gtk+ on UNIX systems.
But later
on in the same document it describes building and testing Gtk+. Here Cairo is
not mentioned.
It says;

        "Then build and install the GTK+ libraries in the order: GLib, Pango,
ATK, then GTK+.
        For each library, follow the steps of configure, make, make install
mentioned above.
        If you're lucky, this will all go smoothly, and you'll be ready to
start compiling your own
        GTK+ applications. You can test your GTK+ installation by running the
gtk-demo program that
        GTK+ installs."

I am confused - is Cairo a _requirement_ for Gtk+ on UNIXy systems or not?

        Jeremiah