2007/3/27, Nicolas Setton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > Nicolas, can you get another profile using Markku's patch?
>
> Most certainly!
>
> A couple of preliminary remarks.
>
> I have observed a startup time increase of between 20% and 30%.
>
> When scrolling, here is what I observed:
>    - when displaying the selected row, performance is as bad as
> before (scrollbars take between 5 and 15 seconds to react)
>    - when not displaying the selected row, performance is acceptable
> (scrollbars take between 0 and 2 seconds to react, and I'm compiling
> at -O0)
>
> An interesting point to note is that this seems due to the drawing of
> the keyboard input rectangle (the dotted lines rectangle): when I
> select a row with the mouse, the interface is snappy, both for
> selecting and for scrolling (between 0 and 2 seconds response time),
> but when I then change the selected row using Up or Down keys, the
> interface takes around 10 seconds to highlight the newly selected row.
> Maybe the experts will have an idea why this is so?

What's your Cairo version? The input focus rectangle has been
identified as a performance problem some time ago:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-October/008135.html
"Another thing we identified at GUADEC is that the dashed stroke for
the focus rectangle that GTK+ uses is also a performance problem. This
is another case that we should ensure is going through the fast path
for whole-pixel regions."

though I *think* it has been adressed since. But if you are running
1.4, that would hint that it still is a problem.

P.S. The performance-list[1] might be a better place for this discussion...

Kalle Vahlman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]