On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 15:38 +0200, Kristian Rietveld wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 12:18:34AM +0100, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> > Is "has-tooltip" needed for anything besides the efficiency issue? (e.g.
> > a11y or something?)
>
> In order for the tooltips implementation to work, we need to monitor
> motion and related events on the widget's windows.  When has-tooltip is
> set to TRUE it will also modify the event masks of the widget's windows
> to monitor these events.  If we drop this property we would always have
> to modify event masks of a widget's window, regardless whether it will
> show tooltips or not -- I am not sure if that is wished.

Tim said we get motion hints everywhere now anyway (though I can't see
where that is done in the code). See the last paragraph here:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2007-March/msg00230.html

It looks like gtk_widget_set_has_tooltip() doesn't set events properly
anyway - if the widget isn't realized and doesn't have a window it won't
set the event mask at all.

Damon