On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 2:59 PM, Paul Davis <p...@linuxaudiosystems.com>
wrote:

> I understand the appeal of using "existing technology" (i.e. Wayland) to
> accomplish something when it appears that it will make it much easier.
>
> But if GTK is still at least nominally cross-platform, then surely the
> place to start is a higher level abstraction of the transport system, and
> then later to bolt wayland onto that design "under the hood", rather than
> starting with Wayland and then shrugging one's hands and saying "do
> something like Wayland on other platforms"?

I don't see how anything I've said could be used to imply that GTK is,
nominally or concretely, not cross-platform anymore.

What is being discussed here is the possibility of using Wayland as the
implementation to communicate privately between the preview plugin process
and the main process, without a Wayland requirement for the session the
processes live in.
I'm arguing that as long as the Wayland libraries can be built on the
platforms we care about and a suitable way of sharing a buffer exists, even
if not extremely optimized, we can possibly get away without the
abstraction you're talking about.

Cosimo