Sad to say, it seems that you're in a common position of not understanding
the basic structure of a GUI program. In its simplest form, it looks like
this:

main ()
{
   initialize_stuff();

   while (not_time_to_quit()) {

        wait_for_events_and_timeouts ();
        process_events_and_timeouts ();

        if (redraws_requested) {
              do_redraw ();
        }
   }

   finalize_stuff ();
}

your menu handlers execute as part of "process_events_and_timeouts ()". You
can see that if they take a long time, you are necessarily preventing the
program from reaching the "do_redraw()" stage.

you need to refactor your code so that either your menu handlers do not
take so long or you execute them in a different thread, and then use an
idle handler to queue a redraw in any relevant widgets when they are done
(queuing an idle handler is the one and only GTK-related thing you can do
from the other thread(s)).