> Do you see any technical problems with what I posted?

Eventually, yes.

It depends on the observed execution speed in your application for example. When
would you categorise the situation that a specific graphical user interface
becomes unresponsive?
Do you expect visual feedback in less than a second for your programs?

> Do you think you could make it more efficient?

There are more aspects to consider besides efficiency. How do you think about to
apply the design pattern "Model-View-Controller"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model%E2%80%93view%E2%80%93controller

> Then, instead of writing three lines to update the gui window, I'd
> be able to type:
>
> gprint("Updated text");

Such a desire is fine until you clarify a few more implementation details.

Regards,
Markus