Quoth Alan Mazer:
> What's the best way to approach this?  I'd like image display and
> plotting to continue which messages are up, and I especially need a way
> to pop up an indefinite number of message dialogs, not from the worker
> thread, without the app freezing.

Having the potential to pop up an infinite number of dialog boxes from a
background worker thread is not a particularly user-friendly design
decision, in my opinion.

I would recommend instead dedicating an area of your existing window or
creating a single extra modeless window as a log area and then writing the
message into that.  (If a second error occurs, reuse the existing log window
instead of creating a new one.)  You can still call user attention to it by
changing colours, flashing, or bringing the window to the front, without
using a message box.