So, I've read most of this conversation, and it seems this simple
alternative hasn't come up yet:

  // Old code
  auto button = Gtk::manage(new Gtk::Button("a button");
  button->show();
  container.add(button);

  // New code
  auto button = container.add_managed<Gtk::Button>("a button");
  button->show();

I don't know how feasible it is to create loads of new member functions
with a _managed (or a different) suffix, but API-wise I think reducing
the creation and insertion into the container to one statement would
make sense with std::unique_ptr.