It might also be worthwhile to look at historic martial arts
(http://www.thehaca.com/, www.mashs.org and similar) for people
interested in period play. I know the SCA does some of this but I
don't know how invested they are in true period fighting techniques -
I fence with MASHS and their devotion to the old manuals can be as
fervent as some of the h-costume memberships adherence to primary
costume sources. And they've got to have *something* to fence in!

Allison T.