In a message dated 11/30/2005 8:23:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Can't  you turn the seam allowance under for the elastic casing, and then
leave that  bit of the seam open when you sew the side seam?

Lord, I hate people who just give negative reasons why such and such won't
work, but, in this case, one of the garments has the little ruffle formed below
 the casing.  The other has the casing at the edge but, in both cases, I
plan to stitch the side seam and then serge it to finish it  off.  Also, the
mother in Florida is sewing challenged and, if I leave  it unfinished, I'm not
sure it would get done.  And the granddaughters have  shown a desire in the
past
to put it on NOW, as soon as they see it.  So  I'll guesstimate from
ready-made garments this time--I did find one garment with  a puffed short
sleeve that
I could measure.

By the way, one of the reasons I make clothes is that trying to shop for
Christmas for Floridians here in Maryland is difficult.  It's not THAT cold
here
in the winter, but everything seems to be long-sleeved, turtle-necked, or
otherwise cold weather gear.  Sometimes I do shop ahead in the summer (and
hope
they don't grow too much by December), or find things on the clearance  racks.

Ann Wass