AS Genie says, that Osprey is a very good start point.  (I wouldn't suggest
using any Osprey for serious research for a second, as the quality of the
information varies enormously, and you have to know the subject already to know
whether you've got a decent one or not.)  But I'd agree they are probably
adequate for your purpose (and if not there's a bibliography anyway).

Have just rifled through Nigel's Osprey shelves (he collects them for
wargaming), and found the one in question, and it does have info on Ming
soldiers
(was only flicking so not sure how much.

But armour seems to be plates of metal behind cloth, similar to a european
brigandine (though a completely different shape of course).