First, gabardine probably is period for 17th century -- it's just a
hard-finished lightweight twill.

I almost always pre-wash my wools but you do lose some to shrinkage -- it
varies widely depending on the wool, but figure 10% to 15% just to be safe.
If I'm not sure how the wool will respond to a prewash, I measure off an
8-inch square and test-launder that.

I like the feel of wool once it's been washed -- it's softer and less
chemical-feeling.

IF you have enough extra to allow for shrinkage, you'll get a slightly more
period finish if you wash your wool in the machine on cold with a gentle
soap (I use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap for this) and allow it to dry flat or
hung on a line. Just takes some of the "modern" off it.

This pre-washing also might allow you to cold-wash the finished garment
occasionally, but in the case of a pirate coat, which probably has lots of
construction details, you'll probably want to dry clean (or just let it get
piratically dirty!) anyway.

I am actually writing this in my just-completed 11th-century overgown, which
I made from an 80% wool/20% cashmere coating that I washed on warm and hung
to dry before I cut it out. Normally I'd have run it through the dryer once,
too, but this was already so heavy and warm that I didn't want it to get any
thicker.

My under-gown is a plainweave tropical worsted wool which I did machine wash
and dry. Because it was a pretty fine worsted, it didn't full the way a
flannel will, but it is softer and a little more dense, post-wash.

One of the great things about working with wool is that it has a bit of
natural stretch to it.

Have fun with your pirate coat!
--
Lauren M. Walker