Caroline wrote:

I have been very fortunate and have come into the posession of just over 3
yards of Harris Tweed. It's only 28" wide so it's a bit small for a tunic
for my other half.

I could make a medieval tunic with different material in the sleeves? Any
thoughts as to how that might look - are we in a 'spoiling the ship for a
ha'porth of tar' situation.

If you have another piece of contrasting fabric you certainly can make a tunic with different sleeves. I've done it with less than 3 yards, so I'm sure you can do it with 28" width.

I used to cut the sleeves short, and make up the length by putting a wide band of contrast in the middle of the sleeve, and along the bottom hem, and once I even used the contrast as a sort of yoke.... let me see where that picture went...

www.reddawn.net/costume/bluetunc.jpg

That was the most delicious blue wool, but I only had a little over 2 yards, in pieces that weren't even square, so I pieced it most creatively. What you can't see is the 6" dark blue border on the hem.

Sometimes though, if I'm not sure what to make, I just hem the ends and use it for a wrap. 3 yards is a nice length to wrap around yourself on a chilly morning.

Dawn