At 16:36 10/02/2006, you wrote:
My family relies on Hotel Harrington. It's basically 2 blocks from everything.
1 blocks to the Old Post office for good cheap food.
2 blocks from Fords Theater and Hard Rock Café
1.5 blocks to the nearest metro station
2 blocks from Museum of Natural History and the rest of the Smithsonian.
http://www.hotel-harrington.com/mapdrivingdirections.htm

The rates are of course a little more expensive then a Motel 6 in the middle of nowhere but we haven't yet found anything cheaper and more conveniently located. If you've got a group going you can't beat some of their larger room prices. I always recommend this to friends and family. We've never had any problems walking around at night and since it's so close to everything we save quite a bit on transportation.

Small note. The parking garage is a few blocks away. We unload at the hotel and then send someone to go park the car while the others check in. Once you park just leave the car until your stay is over. There's no reason to try driving around DC if you don't have to.

Thank you - that's very helpful. Parking won't be a problem - we fly in from London, spend a couple of days in Washington, and then go to stay with our friend.

Suzi