At 10:05 PM 2/14/2006, you wrote:
I recently had the experience to spend the day outside in a misting rainy enviroment in skirts that touched the ground, if not lay upon the ground a bit. Even though the bottom ten inches or so were wet, my ankles and legs were not so cold as they were a little later when I found a belt that I could use to tuck up my skirts and get them off the wet ground. The longer the skirts are the less draft that can get up your skirts, therefore you stay warmer. I have also found I walk very differently in long skirts. One thing is I tend not to walk as fast, so skirts don't get tangled in my legs. The other is that for short steps up, I do a kind of kick with the front hem and the skirts don't get caught under my feet as I step up.

  alex

Thank you Alex,

What you posted makes me wonder if their kirtles were made of wool, which when wet would get warmer, and with the length so very long, make for warmer legs even when wet.

I am going to have to try this... a later event in November is often wet around here, and my legs under the farthingale I wear usually gets colder than my shoulders, which is covered in a partlet.

Kimiko