> But, if a gown was polonaised, weren't they usually polonaised at/from
> the back, not pulling the gown back from the centre front, as this one is?
> That is probably the thing which is most wrong about this gown, and
> made me think that an attempt had been made to alter it to suit a fashion
> from approx. 100 years later.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/101523900/

     For the link above - I wish I could see the front a bit better!  See
the ruching that goes (apparently) all the way up to the neckline?
And it's not close to the body, not exact center front.  It looks
like a gown open from the neck down and worn with a zone, which is
kind of like an upside-down stomacher.  Instead of a V shape, what
shows is an A shape, although the zone may be pointed at the bottom.

     Since that particular gown sweeps back from the neckline, I think
it's dressed correctly.

     I had not seen polonaised saques, either.  (And of course I started
looking *after* I made one...)  They appear to be fairly rare, since
it disrupts the long, flowing line from the back.

     It seems like polonaising was done different ways and to different
degrees, no set rule, and I'm sure some in the 18thC did it badly!

     -Carol