I seem to be the square peg here. ;-) It is because of the hours it
took to create quality historical clothing that made me into a textile snob.
I detest shopping in retail stores because the quality of the textiles and
manufacture is just wrong, ugly, shoddy. When I'm pressed for time and am
desperate to replace a garment I cave and shop retail. But mostly I try to
make my own garments using the same standards I do for historical garments.

        The fabrics I choose are mostly natural fibre, all French or
flat-fell seamed. Everything is custom fitted. (No one hour Simplicity Jiffy
patterns for me). As a result of that and the care I give those garments, I
find they last a very long time. In fact, I have a cotton velveteen tunic
with mabee pearl buttons I made ten years ago which is still fashionable,
and still standing up very well. Just last year I had to retire a blue silk
noile hand-embroidered shirt I'd worn fairly steadily for about eight years,
and a gorgeous black silk noile tunic.

        Even the casual garments I wear are made with the same care, and as
a result stand the test of time. I figure it's money and time well invested.

Regards,
Lorina
Five Rivers Chapmanry
purveyors of historical sewing patterns, quality hand-crafted cooperage,
re-enactor and embroidery supplies, and more.
519-799-5577 [EMAIL PROTECTED] - www.5rivers.org
Message: 13