Hi All-
I subbed as the instructor for a Clothing History class a couple of weeks
ago. One of the instructors notes stated that the ruff was a "descendant" of
a chemise with a drawstring neck. I have been a costumer since I was 12 (oh,
boy am I dating myself), with a BA and MA in Theatre costume and 18 years of
16th C. clothing research in the SCA that resulted in a Laurel-- and now I
teach fashion on the college level, so I guess I'm pretty intense about my
clothing....

Anyway I have never seen anything about a drawstring that is Medieval or
Renaissance. As a matter of fact something I read said it was the result of
the
"I need 100 chemises fast" mindset of the original Ren Faires. The chemises
I have seen--- and this is only in paintings, mind you-- show no indication
of a drawstring in the neck-- either a high neckline or low neckline.

Can anyone help me on this? My professor friend has said she found a
reference in "several books" but is more than willing to look at what I find
, and change her lecture, as necessary. We both hate the idea of
disseminating incorrect information to students.

Thanks a bunch--
Monica Spence
(Catriona MacDuff in the SCA)