Hi Cynthia,
Abraham Bossé the fashion illustrator has made a print of La Gallerie du Pallais showing ready made cuffs and collars exhibitted in a gallanterie shop. The Cuffs are open, and i believe they were pinned in place.

Bjarne

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "h-cost" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:42 PM
Subject: [h-cost] 17th c doublet cuff closure

Ladies & Gents,
A quick question, I'm copying the doublet worn by the dashing gent in
Caravaggio's "The Fortune Teller" now in the Louvre.  Both my copy &
the original are mustard gold velvet with the chocolate brown racing
stripes and those huge balloon sleeves.  At the cuff, which cant be
seen well in my Louvre catalog, is the closure on the outside if the
wrist, inside of the wrist or no closure at all? Is there a lapped
vent as in 18th c manswear or is it just abutted as in the 16th c
menswear.
Norah Waugh doesnt go into this detail.
Thanks for the help,
--cin