Hmmm... the first memory I have is with one of those little plastic
child-size Singer machines with a real needle, and playing with that.  I
must have been about 6 at that point.  As a child, my parents were convinced
that I'd become a fashion designer, as I'd take old shower curtains and
other fabrics and turn them into costumes.

My grandmother would help me out as a child, when I spent summers with her
in the Midwest.

In middle school and high school I did make a number of my own outfits...
skirts and dresses that I actually wore.  In my early 20's I took a design
course at Wash. U. where I learned how to create a flat pattern from a
sloper.  I made a French Maid's costume one year for Halloween... I used a
pattern, but did all the sewing entirely by hand.  When I got married, I
made my own wedding dress, since I wanted silk, and simple, and didn't see
anything I liked that I could afford.

My sewing has been a bit sporadic over the years, as I like to do a number
of different things with my hands.  I like ceramics, painting, gardening,
and sewing (both machine and hand).

At the moment, I'm working on an 18th century pair of stays.  This past fall
I found some fabric at a church flea market, that I thought would make a
nice 18th century outfit, which I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm still
working on the quilted petticoat, but have the gown done.  I know it's not
totally accurate, but I figure it's a first try and I can learn from what's
wrong with it.  I'm thinking that I may have to get into re-enacting just to
have an excuse to wear all the stuff I'm making and want to make!  Anyone
know of any good groups in the Philadelphia area?

Oh... I don't have any cats at the moment, but I'm definitely a cat person
(and may end up adopting two stray kittens that have found a home in my
mother's garage).

Kristin