On Wednesday 31 May 2006 12:54 pm, Carolyn Kayta Barrows wrote:
> > > I just wasn't interested in it (crochet) until I thought of it as a
> > > means to an end (the Mrs. Weasley cardigan).  It still seems...limited.
> >
> >I agree.  I've never been interested in it because (1) most of the things
> >I've
> >seen made in that technique look ugly to me, and (2) it's primarily a
> >Victorian technique, and I'm not really that interested in Victorian
> > costume.
>
> What about those elegant Edwardian Irish crochet dresses and waists?

I did say "most".  Those are not among the exceptions that came to my mind,
though.  Some of the crocheted lace collars (of the type especially popular
in the 1860s) made of fine thread are nice.

> I too
> remember the clunky crochet stuff produced in the 1960s (I kinda liked them
> even if you didn't), but modern crochet sweaters look as nice as knitted
> sweaters do.

I don't care much even for the modern ones.

> Crochet is actually not as limited as some people think.  I
> will agree it's not for everyone.  But then, I only knit if I'm doing a
> period when crochet hadn't been invented yet.

Fair enough.  I admit I was trumpeting my own tastes here, and everyone's
mileage varies when it comes to taste.  :-)

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"I'm starting to like the cut of this man's gibberish."
--General Fillmore (from "The Tick," episode 2)