You should definitely go to the Detroit Institute of Arts to see the entire
room covered in Diego Rivera Frescos.  It represents "Detroit Industry" in
the 1930s.  Plan on sitting in this courtyard (roof was added later) to see
the four walls.  If you give yourself enough time you can see the entire
process of automobile manufacture.  It is really an impressive work of art,
although it doesn't have too much fashion.

There are also some great paintings in the museum and even a Mummy in the
antiquities section but the Frescos were the highlight when I visited.

I don't know of any fabric stores there in Detroit or the environs.

> Message: 12
> Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:45:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Mary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [h-cost] Re: Detroit suggestions (was NYC recommendations )
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I'm glad this subject came up and *thanks* to all for the recommendations.
I'm also going to NYC in July and I'm determined to get to the fabric stores
this time!  I went 2x last summer and never did get to indulge in my
addiction!! LOL

>  I will also be going to Detroit for a few days.  I'll be close to the
DIA, although I think I read that they are remodeling (or something) and
many exhibits will be closed.  Any other suggestions of sights to see
(doesn't have to be costume related!) close to the downtown area?  I don't
know much about Detroit -- and I won't have a car for long distance trips.