Ooh, I like the pictures of the austro-hungarian prisoners of war
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/images/p87_2067__00279_.jpg
--my Austian Grandfather was one for most of the war.  He wrote a book
about his experiences (but it was never published).  It's nice to see
what they might have worn.  He was an officer, but disguised himself
as an enlisted man after the revolution in order to be set free and
not shot!

Katy

On 8/13/07, E House <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I had reason to re-find this site recently, and thought I'd finally get
> around to sharing it:
> http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/
> These are _color_ photographs (not colorized, but actual color) from the
> first 2 decades of the 20th century, and--ob. costume content--show some
> amazing ethnic & Edwardian era clothing.
>
> To look through them all rather than just selections, try this link:
> http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/p?pp/prok:@field(NUMBER+prok)::SortBy=CALL
> though it may expire.  If it doesn't work, from the main page click "Search
> the entire collection" then "preview: all the images."  Worth it.
>
> -E

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                www.VintageVictorian.com
     Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
      Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.