Papain meat tenderizer also works, but it might also dissolve protein
fabrics--so don't use on silk or wool.

Ann Wass

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank A Thallas Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 'Historical Costume' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 2:49 pm
Subject: RE: [h-cost] removing blod stains

Depends on the fabric, I think.  I work mostly (embroidery-wise) on linen
and cotton.  If I see the blood spot immediately,  I wet it with (eew)
saliva - your own will dissolve away your own blood. (My grandmother taught
me that...<G>)  For stains  a little older, I CAREFULLY wet with hydrogen
peroxide, and rinse, and repeat until stain is gone.  Of course you want to
know ahead of time that this won't fade/harm your fabric- I'm an obsessive
tester, so I try all this stuff out on spare fabric, flosses, etc, before I
start a project.

Liadain

THL Liadain ni Mhordha OFO
wildernesse, the Outlands