I was at a vintage flea market where one booth was actually vests and
mittens and caps made from vintage felted (shrunken) sweaters (if you
stretch the definition of vintage to the 1980s). They made the vests from
the bodies of the sweaters and the caps and mittens from the sleeves. They
were soft and warm.

You could take the sweater to a good dry cleaners and ask them if blocking
it would help, but I'd guess that you have a retired sweater.

Lynn