> Ah Ha!
> http://www.museothyssen.org/thyssen_ing/coleccion/obras_ficha_zoom605.html
>
> I suppose one could argue this isn't a shirt, but I've never seen an under
> dress with this kind of cuff...

This type of sleeve appears quite often in dress of Cologne. They are
separate sleeves (and here are made with a damask) and come in a
variety of styles and are definitely not underwear. But I suspect that
what is seen at the neck is a partlet.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Barthel_Bruyn_3.png
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bartholom%C3%A4us_Bruyn_d._%C3%84._003.jpg
http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=22046

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bruyn_Anne_of_Cleves.jpg
I don't think this shows a dress and undersleeve but it shows this
sort of cuff treatment is associated with outerlayers.

The most common type is very fitted and usually of a piled fabric. But
here are even some with short fur turnbacks.

There are some Saxon images that show what may be a coloured "shirt"
type garment.
http://frazzledfrau.glittersweet.com/1525cranyounglady.htm  (Ignore
the text, I think the person who told me about the painting was
talking about the gown not the inner layer.)
And another of one of the Emperors but in his case (painted terracotta
bust) it looks like there is a high necked shirt underneath.

Michaela de Bruce
(Cleves/Cologne is my "pet" area and I have been trawling through
appropriate extant texts to find information. So far the undersleeves
appear quite often in one huge inventary with the goller, suggesting
they were ordered together and have a similar function- warmth and
decoration.)
http://glittersweet.com