My mom is quitting smoking and my sister is trying to get the smoke
smell out of her clothes and linens (only reason I'm not is because I
live too far away!)

So far she's tried 2 washes with baking soda-based laundry detergent
and drying with a scented dryer sheet, but the stink is still there.

I've found a few online references
(http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg0715272815935.html?4,
http://ask.yahoo.com/20021212.html,
http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/odor-removal/how-to-get-rid-of-cigarette-smoke-smell)
and while I'm still researching, I have a few questions:

1) most of the recommendations I've read for removing tobacco smoke
from fabrics involve phospate based detergents, vinegar, and/or
ammonia. This is great for whites, but will this affect dyed fabrics?

2) my mom is very wash and wear so most of her clothing (as well as
linens) are cottons and cotton-poly blends. What about the odd wool or
silk items?

3) Any further recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Allison T.