> Can anyone recommend a good maker of 1830s-40s ladies' boots or shoes?
> Accurate ones seem to be a very hard to come by thing!

I haven't heard lately, but Amazon Drygoods used to have a great reputation for
period shoes.  http://www.amazondrygoods.com/
The Shoe Catalog
Amazon Drygoods has been supplying the footwear need of the entertainment
industry - films, stage, TV, Opera and ballet - for years. This catalog has 162
styles of historic reproduction shoes from all periods, in all sizes and colors
for men, women and children.
THE SHOE CATALOG: $5.00

To receive our catalogs send the correct amount (US funds only) for each
catalog to:

AMAZON DRYGOODS
411 Brady Street
Davenport, IA 52801-1518 USA