I'm at work and can't do an internet search, but IIRC, there are several such
as you describe illustrated in some of the Brueghel wedding and holiday
celebration paintings, "Peasant Wedding", "Wedding in a Barn" and "Summer" in
particular.  These are middle and lower class people, not the nobility.  The
"sagging" seems be as a result of large prosperous bellies and not a fashion
statement. Also, while there are visible points painted in, in a number of
instances they are not tied through the matching holes in the doublets or the
doublets are left off.  This would also contribute to "sagging." These might
give you an idea of what was happening, at least in the Netherlands.

Also, there is some evidence that something along the line of suspenders
started to be used very late.  My guess would be that if you didn't have a
small waist and hips on which to suspend your pants, then once you stopped
attaching your breeches to your doublets, you needed something else to hang
them from, i.e. suspenders.  And the coats/doublets got bigger and bigger.  At
least that's my interpretation of trends in late 16th and early to mid 17th
century mens' clothing.

Ginni Morgan

>>> Tiberius Clausewitz <l_clausew...@yahoo.com> 3/27/09 5:36 AM >>>

Some pages giving advice on Renaissance historical costuming--like one of
Kimiko's pages on costume myths (
http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/CostumeMythsWS/myth04.html )--take great
pains to show that Renaissance breeches were worn on the waist rather than
slung low on the hips. Of course I'm convinced because I've never seen an
actual historical example or illustration of a "sagging" fit, not to mention
that I (perhaps rather unusually for men in their twenties) always wear my
modern trousers on the waist. But now I'm curious about how the wrong "sagging"
fit would look on reproductions of Renaissance breeches, because I've never
seen it in person either; so can anybody refer me to a photograph or
illustration that shows such a fit?

Thanks beforehand for any answers--or none. I know it's not exactly the kind of
thing that a good costumer would like to document.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of
the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure
is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.