Of course, RED, I just took it for granted that folks would know I meant
red!

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of albert...@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 6:11 AM
To: h-cost...@indra.com
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Pattern for red dress on Dr Who

In a message dated 5/6/2009 7:37:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mary.d...@pierocarey.info writes:

Hmmm.... that neckline edge is a bit odd... even discounting the fringe.  Is
it thickened a bit?

***************

I think that may just be the effect of the fringe. Perhaps it flopped  over
and they had to do something to it to keep it upright.

**************

And the tops of the sleeves are not as smooth as I would expect for  CW or
early Vic.

************

Yes, I noticed that. It's not just that they seem full, but they look
sloppy. Well, for all we know, wardrobe had to make the thing over  night.

An early 1850's sleeve would be cut in 2 pieces most likely....being derived
from the tight 1840's sleeve, so would fit smoothly into the armseye.  By
the end of the decade and into the 1860's the pagoda sleeve is often flat
pleated into the armseye...sometimes a box pleat or two at the back, smooth
in  front and underneath...which are sewn down a bit to cling to the upper
arm  before opening up into a bell. Janet Arnold shows this on 2 gowns I
believe.  But however cut the general idea is a lowered and tight beginning
to the  sleeve. Like I said, the sleeve on the costume just looks sloppy.

And, of course, it's not history. It's a  fantasy.

**************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)