Robin

Did you check out the Brueghel paintings?  I seem to recall something like you
originally described as occurring in a crowd scene and for some reason, I seem
to remember it as being one of the Brueghel paintings.  Could be very wrong on
that, but that is my memory.

Ginni Morgan

>>> Robin Netherton <ro...@netherton.net> 6/12/09 5:15 PM >>>
Thanks, Anne! It seems, though, that the author I'm working with does need a
different image -- he's talking specifically about distaffs and the ways they
may be carried, and in this case the woman herself is actually her own
distaff, with no physical distaff in sight. I feel certain I've seen the image
he remembers of the small-distaff-in-the-large-hat, but perhaps I'm mentally
conflating some of the pictures in Tacuinum Sanitatus, which has lots of women
carrying distaffs and lots of women carrying things on their heads, but (as
far as I can tell) no distaffs on the heads.

The Scandinavian image is curious, though, particularly as she also is holding
a torch in her mouth. That doesn't strike me as a really smart thing to do
while you have a pile of loose flax on your head. The caption in Ostergard
says that an archibishop had this image made; I wonder if it was his idea of
industriousness, but not anything that people actually did. (More than once.)

Way off track now, though.

--Robin

Sigrid Briansdotter wrote:

> The woodcut of the woman spinning with the material to be spun up on her head
> under a band is found in Olaus Magnus' Historia de Gentibus Septentrionalibus
> as the Illustration for Liber Secvundvs, Cap. XVII. De luminibus, & tedis
> piceis, which is page 77 in the original version printed in 1555 in Rome. (In
> English as per the translation by Peter Fisher and Humphrey Higgens published
> in three volumes by The Hakluyt Society, London first volume publish in 1996
> as Olaus Magnus - A Description of the Northern Peoples - 1555: Book Two,
> Chapter Seventeen, On lights, and torches of tar. Page 112 of Volume 1) The
> woodcut in my facimilie printed in 1972 by Roosenkilde and Bagger,
> Copenhagen, of the 1555 printing is approximately 2 inches high by 4 inches
> wide with ornamentals out the left and right sides.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Anne Decker

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of
the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure
is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.